St. Matthew Lutheran Church
St. Matthew's earliest history dates back to February 5th, 1870, when Reverend Dutt began conducting Lutheran services in an old union building. Shortly thereafter, the congregation approved the erection of a building for the purpose of Lutheran worship. On October 22nd of the same year, St. Matthew Lutheran Church was born. Various improvements and additions to the church followed for the next several decades, including an enlargement and rededication in 1895 and the building of the parish hall in 1940.
Not long thereafter, big changes were in store for St. Matthew. The congregation had been acting as a three church charge involving St. Matthias, Carlisle Springs and Salem; in 1960, the charge was dissolved and St. Matthew stood on its own. On September 19th, 1961, the ground-breaking service for the present church building was held, and the parsonage was dedicated on December 8, 1963. More recently, the old church bell was rededicated in 1994, but the present building is very much a reflection of its original splendor from the 1960's.
Since inception, St. Matthew Lutheran Church has welcomed any and all guests to attend its worship services to witness for themselves the joy that Christ has brought to this community. As someone you may already know once said - "Come and see!"
OUR MISSION STATEMENT:
As a called people of Jesus Christ, we promise to continue making the 21st century a time to grow spiritually and numerically; to reflect, to give, and to serve the people of St. Matthew, Plainfield, Cumberland County, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and The United States of America through regular worship, Word and Sacrament, increased learning, and a Christian response to human needs as we witness to the community and beyond.
Regular Worship Schedule